OUR HISTORY

History of the Cultural Center

History of our Building

1959

The original DANK (Deutsch Amerikanischer National Kongress) chapter and organization was founded. Our chapter is now known as Chicago North.

1964

The German language school for children in elementary and middle school begins.

1967

DANK Chicago North purchased the current 77,000 sq. ft. property at 4740 N. Western Avenue in Chicago, Illinois.

2003

The facility was almost sold. The next generation infused dedication and energy to the Board of Directors and membership to create the German American Cultural Center.

2009

The Cultural Center celebrates the 50th anniversary as an organization.

2014

The Cultural Center celebrates the 50th anniversary of the German language school, which also includes language instruction for adults, as well as special courses on history and theater.


1927

The current DANK Haus building was designed by architect Paul Gerhardt, son in law of the Chicago Alderman and architect of Cook County Hospital, Lane Technical High School, Von Steuben High School, and the L&H Company Building. It was originally built for the Three Links Association, a jolly fellows club.

1967

DANK Chicago North purchased the building at 4740 N. Western Ave., Chicago, IL.

2012

The façade improvement was completed through generous donations from members and the community. The much-needed improvement shined a new light on the building and the streetscape in the Lincoln Square community.



DANK Haus

4740 N. Western Avenue

Chicago, IL 60625

DANK Haus German American Cultural Center is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.DANK Haus German American Cultural Center does not discriminate based on race, color, sexuality, national origin, sex, disability or age.

©2018 DANK Haus German American Culture Center - All rights reserved.



Connect with us:

+1 (773) - 561-9181

dank@dankhaus.com

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software